Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Friendship is sweet

My Valentine couldn't be around this year, so what better way to celebrate a day of love than with the girls I cherish the most!

This year, my gals and I had our first annual Valentine's Day potluck dinner and I took the opportunity to use the cake decorating tools I got for Christmas to make a special cake.

I confess to taking the easy way out with a box of Betty Crocker vanilla bean cake mix, but my new baker-quality pans made the cake come out perfectly golden and moist.



My cake-leveler made it easy to stack the two layers and then on I was on to icing! I used the recipe here substituting half the shortening for butter and using only six cups of sugar instead of eight.



The whipping cream made the icing light as air and after dying it a pretty shade of pink, my new tools helped it spread as smooth as butter!



I then piped out a NYC skyline and added "Single in the City" to celebrate my friends and I being young, new to Manhattan and having the time of our lives!



The cake was delcious and a wonderful way to top off a night of fabulous food, even better friends and lots of laughs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I'm so excited to hear from you.

xox,
Taylor