Thursday, September 9, 2010

Going Green

I love to cook with fresh herbs, but the cost of a pack at the grocery store can be pretty pricey. Extra flavorful suddenly means extra pricey, so you can imagine my excitement when I found a full basil plant at Trader Joe's for just $4! Determined I would start my own indoor herb garden, I popped that plant in the window and waited for it to flourish. Let's just say dreams don't always come true ... I got a few good uses out of it but my sad basil plant has long since lost it's flavor.

I'm going to blame it on the polluted NYC air and the teeny-tiny window through which I aimed to get it light (instead of on my watering skills), so one of the things I'm most excited about having in San Diego is the space and sunshine for a little herb garden.

I haven't actually seen my new apartment yet (eeeks!) so I'm not sure how much window space is in the kitchen, but we do have a small patio where my garden could flourish. Now all I've got to do is find the perfect planter ... no cheesy vintage dogs or cherubs with baskets ... maybe something a bit more rustic.

Right now I've got these Etsy finds on my radar. They may not all be meant for plants, but I think I could make them work!



Clockwise from upper left: vintage toolbox; vintage cheese box; wooden drawer; hardware drawer.

I also love this DIY project found on Design Sponge. How fun and informative!



And OK I confess ... a few of those cheesy animal planters have caught my eye. I love the color on these! I'm thinking I could even find an ugly one at my local thrift store, spray paint it one bright color, and voila!







Bull spotted here and rooster here .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I'm so excited to hear from you.

xox,
Taylor