Friday, July 10, 2009

Lingering Language




I love a good summertime read and Allison Pearson’s novel, I Don’t Know How She Does It was just the book to keep me occupied during a long delay at LaGuardia Airport. Although it came out quite a few years ago, it was a new read for me, and Pearson’s delightfully descriptive language painted vivid pictures of the struggles of marriage, children and being a woman in the work force. Check out this lovely language describing how a couple falls asleep together at the beginning of a relationship:

… we would lie in the middle of the bed face-to-face, close enough to feel the gusts of each other’s warm nighttime breath. My breasts would be pushed against his chest and my legs – I still can’t figure this out – disappeared over and under his like a mermaid’s tail. When I think of us in bed back then, I think of the shape of a sea horse.

The book left me with a beautiful message about the innate power of being a woman despite how we still have to fight to be seen as equal in a man’s world.

Allison has yet to write another novel but I will be first in line to pick it up when she does.

Image by Travis Hightower from Flickr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I'm so excited to hear from you.

xox,
Taylor