Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A family affair



Last week Derek and I received two packages in the mail that went straight to our kitchen.

The first was a yummy bulb of Armenian garlic my Dad sent from the Minnesota Garlic Festival. This bulb was super garlic - with cloves double and triple the size of your average grocery store variety. I knew I couldn't let it's superior flavor just be mingled away a clove or two at a time, so I chose to make Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic from my favorite food blogger, Smitten Kitchen.



I substituted chicken breasts for a whole chicken and used only 20 cloves since it's just us two. The result = phenomenal! It was one of the best smelling and tasting dishes I've whipped up and easy to boot! The garlic cloves were even delicious to munch on since they have lost their pugnent taste in the cooking process.

I needed something just as great to accompany this yummy dish, and luckily Derek's mom, Chris, had just sent me a recipe for the perfect fall side - Swiss Apple Salad. This yummy salad combines tart apples with savory onions and a slightly sweet homemade dressing for a trifecta of flavor.



It was perfect for in-season apples and a very welcome mix-up to our usual oil-and-vinegar greens. If you're looking for a delicious and easy recipe, I'm willing to share!


Swiss Apple Salad
by Chris Burke

Ingredients:

Salad
6 cups mixed greens torn into bite-sized pieces
2 tart apples, cored and cubed
1/2 cup sliced red onion
4 ounces Swiss cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/3 cup toasted walnut pieces

Dressing
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard

Directions:
1. Places salad greens in a large bowl and add apples, onion, and cheese. Set aside.
2. In a small covered container combine all dressing ingredients , cover and shake to blend.
3. Drizzle dressing over salad, toss to coat, and garnish with walnuts!

That's it! Three easy steps to perfection. Enjoy!

Images from Smitten Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I'm so excited to hear from you.

xox,
Taylor