Thursday, November 11, 2010

An oldie but...

a goodie!



A few month's ago, Derek's dad, Terry, sent him a cookbook pulled together in 1985 by the wives of the St. Louis Cardinals, our hometown baseball team. It's a pretty neat cookbook, made in the very year Derek was born, and signed by former pitcher Bob Forsch.

The funny thing is, while I've always thought of food as timeless, the recipes in this book date themselves with their liberal use of heavy cream, full-fat cheeses, and plenty of mayonnaise - things I don't often see in the healthier living cookbooks that are popular today.

I'm going to challenge myself in the coming months to update some of these recipes to healthier versions, a cooking challenge, since they all do sound quite delicious.

But to kick it off, I chose one recipe that needed no alteration. The result was delicious! A pork tenderloin that was a little sweet with a dipping sauce that had a bite! I served it with mixed potato and sweet potato baked fries and a salad - a very cozy fall meal!




Here's the recipe if you want to try it out! Stay tuned for future recipe makeovers.

Bob's Favorite Pork Tenderloin
by Mollie Forsch

Ingredients:
2 pork tenderloins
1/2 cup bourbon (I used 1/2 cup imitation vanilla extract since I had no bourbon on hand)
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 tbs brown sugar

1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tbs grated onion
1/2 tbs dry mustard
1/4 tsp vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)

Directions:
Mix together the bourbon, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Marinate the pork in it overnight. Bake the tenderloin at 325 for 1.5 hours, basting often with the marinade.

While cooking, mix together the sour cream, mayo, onion, mustard and vinegar and heat on the stove. Serve with the tenderloin.

Enjoy!

top image of Bob Forsch's #1 fan, Terry Burke; bottom image from Real Simple

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I'm so excited to hear from you.

xox,
Taylor